Re: Editing email replies

From: Kevin A. Scaldeferri
Subject: Re: Editing email replies
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 23:07:04 +0000 (UTC)

In article <sn0s4bu6.fsf@bitstream.com>, Peter Davis  <pd@world.std.com> wrote:

>Well, I know I'm probably in a minority here, but I actually think
>HTML e-mail is a pretty good idea.  You can get much more readable,
>and more *meaningful* content with HTML.  Typographic conventions of
>using boldface, italics, etc. evolved for a reason ... they improve
>the readability and informativeness of text.

I hardly ever see people use HTML in their email for these purposes.
Usually they use it to make their text medium gray over a blue sky
background image, or some similar nonsense.  (That's actually a
relatively tasteful, if pointless example.  I've also seen some
incredible attrocious uses of a half dozen colors of text and such.)

Then there are the mail programs which think that every line should be
wrapped in DIV tags so that it looks exactly like the author saw
it... as long as you are using the same mail program as the author.

Kevin Scaldeferri                       Calif. Institute of Technology
                      The INTJ's Prayer:
     Lord keep me open to others' ideas, WRONG though they may be.