Mac OS X and latin-1:

From: Erik Ø. Sørensen
Subject: Mac OS X and latin-1:
Date: 8 Sep 2002 12:28:43 -0700

I have compiled 21.3.50.2 without X but with Carbon.
I would very much like to be able to write Norwegian characters and
have them appear as such on the screen.
Everything works in the Terminal  emacs, but not in the gui. I can
write the øæå in the gui, and these are the characters put into the
file, but they are not displayed as such on screen.

I have tried setting different fonts with M-x set-frame-font RET, but
this does not change anything.  In a previous thread Monaco was
suggested. I can change to Monaco in emacs, but this does not give me
øæå.

I have the following in my .emacs:
(set-language-environment "Latin-1")
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'iso-latin-1)
(if (string= window-system "mac")
    (setq mac-keyboard-text-encoding kTextEncodingISOLatin1))
(set-input-mode
 (car (current-input-mode))
 (nth 1 (current-input-mode))
 0
 7)
(setq default-enable-multibyte-characters nil)

Thanks,
Erik