Re: emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:54:12 +0200

"Luis O. Silva" <silva@paloma.spbu.ru> writes:

> Could anybody, please, clarify me the difference between these
> uses of emacs? Is gnu(client|server) a standard package of
> emacs? Where can I find information on this?

Both started from the same base and then diverged.  gnuclient can
contact an Emacs running on another host for editing files.  Also,
using the gnudoit program you can tell the Emacs server to execute
arbitrary Lisp code.

If you use NT Emacs, then the NT Emacs FAQ
(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html) has some
hints.  For XEmacs, gnuclient is the standard package I think.

Otherwise, Google probably helps.  There are a lot of implementations
and ports of gnuclient floating around, and I'm not sure at the moment
which is the most recent / best one.

kai

PS: Using gnuclient as an abbreviation for gnuclient/gnuserv.
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)