Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: 27 Sep 2002 11:54:50 -0400

> I noticed a good bit of negative reaction toward TEI-Emacs when I first
> mentioned it, where people expressed alarm about the TEI people not caring
> about the about the GPL and not reporting to the GNU development team.

I didn't react negatively when I asked if they could get (and keep) in touch
with us. I just think it'd be good for both us and them.  Almost every time
I bump into such a package as TEI-Emacs which I had never heard of I feel
"what a pity: if I don't know about it despite all the time I spend around
Emacs, who will?".

Also the code in such packages often does both strange/wrong things (either
because of misunderstandings about how some functionality works or
because of a lack of some functionality) and great things (which could
benefit many more people than users of that package).
In either case, it would have been great if they had complained here
(for example) about the problems and shortcomings they encountered.

        Stefan