Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:28:28 +0000 (UTC)

Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:

> > But first things first.  Now you know which font Emacs used to display
> > the Cyrillic.  Do you have any way of finding out the encoding
> > of that font (with an X11 font editor, perhaps, or by running some
> > other program)?
>
> I can see the glyphs with xfd.  Spending some time I may be able to
> identify the glyph table with an encoding.  But how will it help me?

To save you the trouble, your font is encoded in windows-1251
codepage.

There is no reason why Emacs would select this font for displaying
iso8859-5, and since your X resources do not specify to use that
font, my only guess is that some misconfiguration of you font server
is causing it to be selected when Emacs requests an iso8859-5 font.