Re: State of the art in Emacs outlining?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: State of the art in Emacs outlining?
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 17:38:45 +0200

"Tom Davey" <tdavey@sputnik.com> writes:

> Is there a preferred elisp package (or combination) in use today for
> Emacs outlining? I am a little confused by the several packages out
> there -- outline.el, of course, and allout.el and folding.el and others
> less known that promise improvements to outline.el -- and I thought I'd
> ask about them before jumping in to learn one.
>
> I'm mainly interesting in ordinary document production rather than
> outlining for source code files, but all thoughts are gratefully
> welcomed.

The NEWS file is in outline mode.  I've used outline mode myself,
it's easy to use and provides its functionality well.  For document
production, that seems to be the way to go.

> Kai, I read through the thread on emacs-devel called "ill-advised
> changes [was key bindings in hideshow.el]" (Feb. 2001), which discusses
> outline major-mode and the desirability of an "always-on" structual
> overview utility and which includes posts between yourself and RMS, but
> this newbie is still a bit confused. :-)

I've browsed part of that thread, but it seems that the thread is
about keybindings only.  I think that won't have much effect on
outline (major) mode, since they are talking about minor modes only.

kai