Re: Emacs exit (return) code?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Emacs exit (return) code?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:44:43 -0600

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

From: INVALID_SEE_SIG@example.com (J.D. Baldwin)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:09:14 +0000 (UTC)

I observe the same behavior with the sudo
utility "visudo" (version 1.6.3p7 running on either Solaris 7 or 8).
If I edit a file and never hit ^G, my changes are accepted.  If I ever
hit ^G during my session, I get this message:

   visudo: Editor (/opt/local/bin/emacs) failed with exit status 53248, \
                /etc/sudoers unchanged.

In that case, my changes are rejected without giving me a chance to
recover them.  (Yes, I know this is brain damage on the part of sudo,
but I can't fix that just now.)

So my questions are:

1. What causes this? and

Emacs sets things up so that ^G generates a signal, similar to ^C in
other programs.  An interrupted program usually returns the signal in
its exit status.  I think this is what you see.

But if the signal is successfully handled and the program continues, why should
the exit status be affected?

2. Is there a way to suppress this behavior?

Write a short shell script that invokes Emacs and then always returns
a zero status.  Then tell those programs to run the script instead of
Emacs as your editor.

I don't think that's a solution.  Emacs could crash or otherwise fail to save

the edited file and the script would report success.