Re: Setting shell type in sh-mode

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Setting shell type in sh-mode
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:38:19 +0100

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> What happens if you set sh-shell to the `tcsh' symbol there, instead of
> (or in addition to) setting sh-shell-file to the "/usr/bin/tcsh" string?

# -*- sh-shell: tcsh -*-

is mostly successful. It gets the correct font-locking, and skeleton
statements, (presumably because sh-mode picks the appropriate values from
generic lists when needed, rather than setting them when the mode is
started). It leaves "Shell-script[bash]" in the mode-line, though, and
leaves the message "Indentation setup for shell type bash" in the echo
area, so it probably isn't setting _everything_ correct for tcsh. Looking
at what sh-set-shell does, it looks like imenu would also not be set up
correctly.

But since there aren't any special indentation or imenu settings for
non-bash shells (I think), and the mode-line can easily be fixed with
mode-line-process: "[tcsh]" in the file local variables, I can probably
live with that.

Many thanks for your help.