Re: S-up and emacs -nw?

From: Fredrik Staxeng
Subject: Re: S-up and emacs -nw?
Date: 19 Oct 2002 18:44:13 +0200

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:

>1) I ultimately want to run this on a laptop running Debian, with no X
>   support (I only have 24 meg of memory and 100 meg of hard drive
>   space left).  Is there a better terminal type than 'linux' to use?
>   Can I just arbitrarily reset the terminal type?

24 megs used to be plenty for X + twm + xterm + Emacs, but perhaps not
anymore. But anyway, just resetting the terminal type will not do any
good.

>2) What's the relationship between terminal type, loadkey/keymap,
>   and termcap/terminfo?  Does changing the terminal type change the
>   underlying keymap, or just how the keymap is interpreted?  Can I
>   change the keymap and expect whatever program is running to
>   suddenly be able to generate those sequences?  I would think not,
>   since I can't seem to figure out how to generate C-f11 for example.

The terminal type says which termcap/terminfo entry to use. The terminfo
entry describes what the terminal does. What you want to do is to extend
what the terminal does, and loadkeys might be able to do what you want.
You need to assign distinct sequences to all combinations that you
want to be distinct. E.g. Shift-Up needs to be distinct from
Up.

Then you need to tell Emacs how to interpret your new sequences.

>3) Emacs under Debian uses terminfo -- can I make it use termcap
>   instead?  Do I want to?  Termcap seems to have more terminal types
>   defined, at least on my system.

This is of no use since the best entry for you to use is still linux.

>4) I'm used to using NTEmacs, and my keybindings are very influenced
>   by the fact that S-f4 produces S-f4 and not f16, and C-f9 produces
>   C-f9 and not nothing.  Do I have a reasonable chance in hell of
>   getting the linux console to generate the same keystrokes?  I have
>   a LOT of functions bound to the combinations of C- M- and S- with
>   the function keys 1-12 (i.e. standard PC keyboard).  It would
>   really suck to lose all of that.

I don't think it's that hard. From looking at the defkeymap.gz somewhere
under /usr/share/keymaps, it seems that loadkeys should be able to
do what you want. There is a layer of indirection, so you need to
define a string, say

string CF11 = "\033[21;1~"

and then refer to it in the map part

control keycode  87 = CF11

>I guess I've got to start looking into ways to get Win95 back on the
>laptop.  Oh my, I can't believe I just typed that.....

If you just want to run Emacs, I think that Debian is the easiest way to
go. But don't waste time on cygwin then.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr