Re: S-up and emacs -nw?

From: Fredrik Staxeng
Subject: Re: S-up and emacs -nw?
Date: 20 Oct 2002 19:10:10 +0200

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:

>Fredrik,
>
>On 20 Oct 2002, Fredrik Staxeng wrote:
>
>> Then your are halfway there. Now you just need to assign a function
>> to f14. Use define-key or global-set-key as appropriate. They
>> keys that Emacs does not see at all, or see as another key, need
>> to be changed using loadkeys.
>
>I'm almost there.  If:
>
>1) the kernel knows that UP is "<ESC>[A"
>2) I teach the kernel (via loadkeys) that Shift-Up is "<ESC>[a"
>3) Emacs knows that <up> is bound to `previous-line-nomark' and
>   <S-up> is bound to `previous-line-mark'
>
>How do I get Emacs to recognize "<ESC>[a" as <S-up>, so that I don't
>have to do some crazy conditional keybindings?  Should I use
>`keyboard-translate' for that?  If so, how would I represent "<ESC>[a"
>as a character?

Crazy conditional keybindings is probably an equivalent amount of work,
unless you need to do mode-specific bindings. But the see the files
in the subdirectory term of your lisp directory. It seems
that you can do things like

(define-key function-key-map "\e[161q" [S-up])

If you run debian, you need to install the emacs21-el package to get
the lisp source files.

There seems to be a sizeable number of people still running in tty
mode. I guess about 1% of those run on actual terminals, the rest
are runnning various terminal emulators.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr