Re: (Slightly Off-Topic) Emacs-like Office App

From: Kevin Dziulko
Subject: Re: (Slightly Off-Topic) Emacs-like Office App
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:13:39 -0500 (EST)

This is off topic and should continue discussion else where, but I'm not
sure where that should be.

Target both software developers and casual office users? Good luck with
that. What is it that they do that is in common?  One big super app that
does everything? I think MS Word attempts that (has word processing,
drawing, desktop publishing, embedded spreadsheets,
modes(document templates), extendable with programming ...).  The result:
enormous, slow, unstable, and all the other reasons why people hate
microsoft apps. If you want an app that performs well, modularity is the
key. Many small programs with a narrower scope would be easier to create,
upkeep, and execute with high performace. An app can have all kinds of
great features, but if it runs slow and crashes, I'm not buying. Perhaps
it's me, but I find "does everything" and "simpler to use" to be a
paradox. And as far as bringing people to Linux, great apps will help, but
standardization will help more. Windows is easy because one knows before
ever even using a new app that they can save by clicking file, and then
save. Every single unix app has different key sequences for everything.

I'm sorry if my message is negative, but opinions were asked for.