Re: psgml - support for XML namespaces and schemas?

From: D. D. Brierton
Subject: Re: psgml - support for XML namespaces and schemas?
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:59:33 +0000

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:14:10 +0000, Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> wrote:

> You can try out Emacs' built-in sgml-mode which is much less featureful than
> PSGML but doesn't require anything like a DTD. The version that comes with
> Emacs-21.2 is severely under-featured in many respects, but the version in
> the development code
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD
> supposedly works with Emacs-21.2 and provides XML support and indentation.
>
> I'd be interested to hear any comment about it,

Hi Stefan,

I downloaded the development code and tried it with 21.1. (I commented out
the section of my .emacs on PSGML.) I tried it with this docment:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
 "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd";
[
<!ENTITY content SYSTEM "content.xml">
]>
  <head>
    <title>Emacs/PSGML Wrapper</title>
  </head>
    &content;

The syntac highlighting is nice (nicer than PSGML's). Indenting seems to work
nicely too. However, SGML -> Insert Attributes allows returns "Wrong context
for adding attribute" regardless of where the cursor is. If I attempt to tab
complete on SGML -> Insert Tag it gives ! and then a further tab gives me the
choice of:

Possible completions are:
![                                 !attlist
!doctype                           !element
!entity

I wasn't really expecting any tab completion (I assume no parsing or attempt
to read the DTD takes place), but why does it offer to insert things which
belong in the internal subset of the document type declaration regardless of
where I am in the document? Is that expected behaviour? Are there any
specific tests you'd like me to run before I re-enable PSGML?

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@dzr-web.com           www.dzr-web.com