Re: password shows on emacs as a shell

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 18:23:56 +0100

kirpi@tiscali.it (Luigi) writes:

> I found that there are many files called .emacs inside my computer.
> One of them is in /home/luigi and, as I am Luigi, this is probably the
> file you mean.

Inside Emacs, you can type C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET and you will be
looking at the right file.

> Now, I opened the file, and it is full of strange lines, similar to
> the one you suggested me to add.
> So, what should I do?

I know that the following is painful, but I really really really
suggest that you should understand the lines already in the file to
get some understanding of what they do.  I know that many people like
to get long .emacs files from others and they are happy with it, but
my experience is that having unknown lines in there will bite you
sooner or later.

One approach you could take is to rename the .emacs file to something
else and then start Emacs without it and see what happens.  Maybe you
don't miss all the strange lines.  In case you do miss something, you
could try adding back lines from the old .emacs file to get it
again.  But only a few lines for each feature you're missing.  And
add comments for all the lines so that at least you know which
feature prompted you to put the lines there!

Another approach is that you keep the .emacs file but start to try to
understand it.  Maybe one line per day...

kai