RE: Re[2]: get stdout/stderr while running a program

From: Victor Kirk
Subject: RE: Re[2]: get stdout/stderr while running a program
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:34:11 -0000

Assuming there is not a probelm with emacs.  presumably
other programs work fine under the shell.

> a little example:
> /* c-code */
> printf("my output");
> /* "my output" now visible in the shell */

stdout is buffered, so this is only output when the buffer
is full.  What happens if you explicity flush the output by

printf("my output");
fflush(stdout);

> exit(0);
> /* "my output" now visible in my emacs buffer */

This would cause the file buffer to be flushed to the output.

> its a little bit exhausting to switch always between a shell
> and emacs. it interrupts my working flow.

Quite right. One of the most useful things about running a
shell under emacs is you can search through the program's
output
This message, including attachments, is intended only for the use by the
person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is
privileged and confidential. Copying or use by anybody else is not
authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
as soon as possible. The views expressed in this communication may not
necessarily be the views held by Serco Integrated Transport.