Saving file edit environment

From: CarlC
Subject: Saving file edit environment
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 20:07:17 GMT

Hi.

I am new to lisp and hope that someone can educate me just a little.

I want to be able to save some edit session variables for every file when it
is saved. Mainly I want to save the cursor position, the last search string
that was used, and the user. What I envision is that when a file is saved,
it will create a <filename>.el, also. When the file is opened for the next
edit session, it would execute this .el file. I doubt that this is too
difficult for emacs, but am not sure what hooks to use and I am not good
enough to write lisp functions.

Thanks for any help.