Re: M-TAB already used by KDE

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: M-TAB already used by KDE
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:26:04 +0100

Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>>I've written a little patch for Emacs (which will be in 21.4, whenever
>>that comes out) that allows you to tell Emacs to swap Alt and Meta.
>
> The default should be to treat them synonymously.

Really?  Hm.  I've seen some Alt bindings here and there...

>>And also, I tell Emacs to swap Alt and Meta.
>
> And what Alt-bindings do you use in Emacs? Anything but iso-transl?

No, I don't use any alt bindings.  But it was very easy to swap them,
so that's what I did...

>>Then I can use the keys labeled Alt as Meta keys in Emacs.
>
> The proper way would be to have two settings, "Alt is really Super" and
> "Meta is really Super".

Actually, there will be variables x-meta-keysym, x-alt-keysym,
x-hyper-keysym and x-super-keysym.  The value of each variable can be
meta, alt, hyper, or super.  Or nil.

The interpretation is as follows: if the x-hyper-keysym variable is
super, then Emacs will interpret Super_L and Super_R (are there two
such keys?) as Hyper internally.

I've never tried to see what happens if two variables have the same
value.  Maybe if x-alt-keysym and x-hyper-keysym are both `super',
then hitting Super-A will be interpreted as A-H-a.