Re: M-TAB already used by KDE

From: Fredrik Staxeng
Subject: Re: M-TAB already used by KDE
Date: 19 Dec 2002 16:36:45 +0100

>> On the other hand, Super and Hyper are unambigously distinct from
>> Meta/Alt. That is, instead of putting mappings on Alt, which
>> assumes a Sun keyboard, put them on Super.
>
>And what do people do who had Super bindings before?

Unless they also were using Alt (not Meta) bindings, things will
continue to work as before. People who were using Alt bindings
before would have to move them though.

But I was talking about bindings in /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp, that is
default bindings delivered with Emacs. Are there any Super bindings
there that might clash with the Alt bindings that are there?

>You are suggestion to remove modifiers.  This is not a good idea.
>People with foot pedals will hate you!

What's the name in Emacs for mod5? If there is somebody using more than
three distinct modifiers (five including Shift and Control), then
obviously a name could be invented for them.

I think the pain would be miniscule, and that the gain in clarity
would be worth it. It is hard to discuss technical matters without
precise terminology, as can be seen from the perennial "Why doesn't
my delete key work?" threads.

But perhaps not. Maybe there are a number of users with very elaborate
modifier maps. Then probably my two variables should be replaced by a
single alist, x-modifiers, with default value
    '((alt . meta) (meta . meta))
x-alt-is-super would be
    '((alt . super) (meta . meta))
x-meta-is-super would be
    '((alt . meta) (meta . super))
Present default:
    '((alt . alt) (meta . meta))
A Sun users forced onto a PC:
    '((alt . meta) (meta . alt))
A user with a full octave foot pedal
    '((mod6 . c) (mod7 . ciss) (mod8 . d) (mod9 . diss)

>Yes.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll have to think about that
>"overengineered" part.  Hmmm...

I said "a bit overengineered". Nothing like, say the Solaris print spooler.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr