Re: accents in xterm emacs

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: accents in xterm emacs
Date: 30 Jan 2003 10:51:59 -0500

>> Try 'TERM=linux && emacs -nw'.
> Yes, this solves my problem number one,

Huh !?  Does anybody know why this works ?
I thought that C-x RET k (aka set-keyboard-coding-system) was unavoidable.

> accented letters can be read within gnus). Besides I lose my "M" key,
> which is kind of disturbing in emacs ;). I could not find it anywhere else.

Maybe your terminal sends the same code for M-i as for é, in which
case you'll first need to figure out how to tell it to send different
codes so that Emacs can tell the difference.
Usually, terminals can be configured to turn the meta key into an ESC
prefix (which is Emacs understands automatically).  See the metaSendsEscape
and the eightBitInput resources of your xterm.

        Stefan