Re: focusing a frame

From: Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt
Subject: Re: focusing a frame
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 12:03:33 +0100

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 06:26:14PM +0000, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
> This works in all cases, except when I iconify Emacs with C-z. If I
> invoke emacsclient, all I get is an:
>
>        X protocol error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) on
>        protocol request 42
>
> and a *woosh* as Emacs dies.

Just for the off incident that somebody would actually be searching
for the same problem - it seems the problem can be alleviated by
pausing between the (raise-frame) and (x-focus-frame) commands, eg:

        (raise-frame nil)
        (sleep-for 0.5)
        (x-focus-frame nil)

I haven't tested this extensively, though, so maybe Emacs would still
crash if the machine was under heavy load and didn't get to respond to
the raise-request within the 0.5 sec pause. No matter what, it's still
an ugly hack, but at least it keeps my Emacs from crashing :-)

/Kenneth