Re: GTK2 support in Emacs 21.3.1?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GTK2 support in Emacs 21.3.1?
Date: 17 Apr 2003 19:19:10 +0200

"D. D. Brierton" <darren@dzr-web.com> writes:

> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:54:17 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > "D. D. Brierton" <darren@dzr-web.com> writes:
> >
> >> I remember that a while ago GTK2 support was committed to Emacs
> >> CVS. Did that make it into 21.3.1,
> >
> > No.  21.3 is a bugfix release.
> >
> >> or is it not ready for primetime yet?
> >
> > I am using it currently, but it is still the developer version with
> > its own sets of bugs.  None that would make Emacs less stable than
> > typical run-of-the-mill editors, but decidedly less than customary
> > for Emacs.  I manage an occasional core dump when doing heavy duty
> > work.
>
> Thanks for clarifying, David. So I guess 22.x is a more realistic
> timeframe for GTK2 support as standard?

No, 21.4.  I certainly hope that 21.3 is the last bug fix release and
21.4 will be the new feature release.  There are no major new
features, just a lot of little things and additions all over the
board, so it would be strange to call the next release 22.x.  Even if
somebody cleaned up the color and image handling.

> The thing is, that when none of my apps were antialiased I didn't
> really notice so much, but now practically everything is, Emacs is
> beginning to give me a headache. Relative to everything else on my
> screen its fonts are really hard to read.

Try for different fonts: large fonts designed pixel by pixel instead
of being some low-resolution rendition of print fonts.  I use the
standard 10x20 fonts, and they are very nice to work with, crisp,
well-shaped and with constant two-pixel width stems, meaning that the
diagonal fillin effects are much ameliorated.  There are some
screenshots from my setup at the home page of preview-latex
<URL:http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net> (shameless plug).  The text
portions in the first screen shot are 10x20, while the math consists
of (antialiased ;) images and is not relevant for the discussion.