Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?
Date: 24 Apr 2003 10:33:26 +0100

  Galen> We have a CVS server on a UNIX machine but, AFAIK, most of us
  Galen> are committing our work from Windows machines.  But, we also
  Galen> have a mix of people using WINCVS and cygwin CVS
  Galen> command-line.  I and the other cygwin users will also use
  Galen> WinCVS on and off as well, so this may be causing issues?  I
  Galen> use PCL-CVS for most of my day-to-day CVS work.  (The
  Galen> .cvspass will get munged every once in awhile because of
  Galen> these switch offs) What seems to be happening, but I can't
  Galen> quite find the pattern is that more than one ^M will get
  Galen> appended to the end of the files so then the ^M's show up, no
  Galen> matter what how I ask Emacs to handle the ^M, because there
  Galen> is more than one.

If you try and use more than one client, then you are likely to get
into trouble. So, for instance, using both a unix client, and a
wincvs client on the same files will result in line terminator
problems.

You could put a check script into the CVS. Essentially any windows
terminators in the repository are wrong (in a text file obviously).

  Galen> What I'd like to know is if anybody has any experience with
  Galen> odd behavior from checking in and checking out code and
  Galen> windows/UNIX end-of-line characters getting inserted.  Its
  Galen> driving us a little nutty and we aren't quite sure how to
  Galen> figure out what is truly happening.  Right now we are
  Galen> removing the ^M manually (well Emacs manually anyways).

Most of the people here are using one client only, and although we
have had some problems it generally works. All the Windows emacs users
use dos terminators all the time, even with cygwin CVS.

Good luck.

Phil