Re: Help producing the Alt modifier

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Help producing the Alt modifier
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 14:25:19 +0200

Jeremy Bowen <jeremyb@opennw.com> writes:

> Yes. However it is somewhat irrelevant as I don't have a problem with ESC or
> Meta. I have a problem with Alt
>
> How do I make the ALT keys generate the <Alt> modifier ?????

My understanding of your problem was that you wanted different
behaviors from ESC x than from Alt-x.  I gave you different
behaviors.  Does it really matter what they are called in Emacs?

Maybe there is a reason why it matters, but you didn't explain about
it, so I don't know.

Here's an explanation how you can get the Alt modifier.  Let's say
your output from "xmodmap -pm" contains "mod1 Alt_L, Alt_R".  Let's
further say that there is an empty modifier (let the empty modifier be
mod3).  Let's lastly say that there is a key on your keyboard which
you don't need (print screen, scroll lock, or pause come to mind), and
that it has the keycode 4711.  Then write the following into the file
~/.xmodmap:

    keycode 4711 = Meta_L
    add mod3 = Meta_L

Now say "xmodmap ~/.xmodmap".  Then start Emacs.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)