Re: customization of browse-url has no effect

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: customization of browse-url has no effect
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 14:22:54 +0200

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> I want to use lynx (in an emacs window) as browsewr from within emacs.
>
> Via M-x customize I specified links as browser. In .emacs this looks
>  lke this:
>
> (custom-set-variables
> '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-lynx-emacs))
> )
>
> It works fine immediately after clicking on "save changes for this
> session" and "save session for future sessions", but aftre shutting
> down emacs and restarting the program it stops working. When hitting
> return on a link (or clicking on it) I get the error message:
> "Searching for program: file or directory not found, netscape"

What is the value of the browse-url-browser-function variable (type
C-h v browse-url-browser-function RET to find out) after you started
Emacs for the second time?  If it is not browse-url-lynx-emacs, then
either 1) your .emacs with the above code snippet was not loaded, or
2) there is something in your .emacs after the code snippet that
changes browse-url-browser-function, or 3) you have a default.el that
does this.  To test the latter possibility, put

(setq inhibit-default-init t)

in your .emacs to prevent loading default.el.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "undercover mindwar infowar"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")