Re: Is there a mode that helps enforce coding guidelines?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Is there a mode that helps enforce coding guidelines?
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:45:19 +0000

In comp.emacs Peter Milliken <peterm@resmed.com.au> wrote:

[ .... ]

> I personally find coding templates a big help when moving between
> different coding standards i.e. one project wants the opening { on the
> same line as the if statement, the next project wants it on the line
> following, the next project doesn't want one at all unless there are
> multiple statements after the if! :-) All of these and more are easily
> configurable and available with minimal work.

After?  You mean the stuff that gets executed when the condition
evaluates to non-zero?  Don't confuse people!

There is always exactly one statement so bounded by an 'if'.  Sometimes
this statement is empty (i.e. a bare semicolon), often it is a compound
statement.  But it is always one statement.  For some reason, people who
write coding standards frequently don't understand this, and it drives me
crazy!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter