Evaluating lisp expressions or calling emacs functions form emacs client

From: Mercurio, Michael
Subject: Evaluating lisp expressions or calling emacs functions form emacs client?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:14:44 -0500

Hi,

Does anyone know an easy way to use emacsclient to invoke emacs functions or
lisp expressions?  I'm looking for something similar to the "--execute"
option that emacs has.

Ideally, I would love to do something like:
   emacsclient --execute "'(ediff-files \"$FILE1\" \"$FILE2\")'"

but emacsclient doesn't have the "--execute" option like emacs does.

Is there a way to do this without emacsclient that doesn't involve starting
a new emacs session?

Thanks,