Re: Wordprocessor behaviour

From: Andrew Rutherford
Subject: Re: Wordprocessor behaviour
Date: 23 Jun 2003 23:01:15 +1000

Daniel Andersen <dani_ande@yahoo.dk> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm quite new to emacs and I have a question which has bothered me a
> long time. I'm writing a book and started using emacs insteed of Word,
> which I got pretty much tired of, but there is one thing which annoyes
> me; when I have written a long sentense and it is wrapped to many
> lines on the screen, then when I want to go on "screen-line" up in the
> same sentence, it jumps to the previous paragraph insteed, which means
> that I have to move the cursor along the line insteed to get upwards.
>
> I have searched for information on this but couldn't find any myself;
> I know that one can have emacs break long lines itself, but I don't
> want it to do so...

Why not? The tools you would use beside emacs to write a book treat
line-breaks as white space. There's no reason for long lines: they
don't fit on a terminal and they're hard to edit. If you have a need
for them in the end, there are probably modes doing what sed or tr do.

--
Andrew Rutherford
ajrutherford@mail.ru