Re: A few weird behaviours with emacs 21.3.1

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: A few weird behaviours with emacs 21.3.1
Date: 26 Jun 2003 02:37:23 +0200

hi,

John Kliff Jochens <jkliff@escatologia.net> writes:

> - when I put the cursor over a parenthesis (bracket, braces, etc) there
> is no parenthesis ( braces, brackets, etc) matching. I remembered the
> existence of paren-match (or what was it?), but I never had to use it to
> achieve this behaviour and C-h d didn't give any hint of a function that
> could be useful. Where am I going wrong with this?

have a look at show-paren-mode, and customize it to be on by default.

> Besides these (little) problems, I have another question. I have some
> code in my .emacs that managed to make dired always change the content
> of the current buffer instead of creating another one (code that was
> posted in this mailing list not long ago). I was trying to change that
> code to achieve the same behaviour with the Customize emacs. Any help?

you can just put

(setq custom-buffer-done-function 'kill-buffer)

somewhere in your .emacs or customize custom-buffer-done-function.

hth,
jao
--
"Knowledge is proud that he has learned so much;
Wisdom is humble that he knows no more." -- William Cowper