Re: emacs-19.34 segfaults when built with Xfree 4.3.0 (glibc2.3.x,gcc 3

From: Tomoyuki Murakami
Subject: Re: emacs-19.34 segfaults when built with Xfree 4.3.0 (glibc2.3.x,gcc 3.2)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:56:52 +0859 (JST)

Hi all,

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: emacs-19.34 segfaults when built with Xfree 4.3.0
            (glibc2.3.x,gcc 3.2)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 23:11:46 +0100

> Here is the long awaited gdb back trace and strace. It seems to die
> at the same place that emacs-21/AIX dies if it is run over a slow
> dial-up connection (there were two different patches for that, one of
> them by Mr Stallman himself no less, if I remember correctly)
> - probably not related. Thought I'd mention this just in case.

The same core dump happens on my environment,
    FreeBSD 5.1R
    XFree86 4.3.0
    Emacs 21.3

So I would try debugging, re-configure XFree86 with
   #define  DebugLibXt YES
on host.def, and linking debug-enabled libXt (libXt_d.a) to emacs.

And, then, the core dump does not happen any more !
I don't know why.
It seems that static binary emacs doesn't crash at this point.

To make emacs statically,

$ CC="gcc -static" ./configure your-system-type ...

plus I needed CFLAGS="-DNO_ABORT" to avoid compile error.

----
Tomo.