Re: Why have "shell" when there's "term"

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Why have "shell" when there's "term"
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 13:27:58 -0700

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> current date.  In eshell, you can do
>
>         echo "Hello, it is $(current-time-string)"
>
> to execute Lisp, and

Hey, that is pretty cool.  I never paid any attention to eshell.
can one access inputrc (readline) commands somehow?

Example: In bash, I've set M-p tp a call to perl MCPAN shell on the
command line:

    From ~/.inputrc "\M-p": "perl -MCPAN -e shell"

So pressing M-p causes the command to appear at the prompt:
  $ perl -MCPAN -e shell

Ready for execution.
 But of course any M-p in eshell access' cmdline history of eshell.

So are there trick preface keys or something that will allow one to
say M-p to the actual shell behind eshell?
Something akin to what C-c C-a or C-c C-e do in eshell.