fonts in emacs under OS X

From: James Hughes
Subject: fonts in emacs under OS X
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 19:04:10 -0700

I'm having problems understanding fonts under OS X. Mostly, I just don't
know what the hell I'm doing. I don't really understand the X11 naming
convention for fonts.

All of the docs say use this format:
-maker-family-weight-slant-widthtype-style-pixels-height-horiz-vert-spacing-
width-charset

But, then as an example they use:
-*-Monaco-*-100-*
or
-apple-monaco-*-9-*-mac-roman

which works... but doesn't follow the above format. I'm sure there's some
kind of shortcut notation going on here if someone could please explain?
I've also seen "fontset-mac used in place of "mac-roman" above. What is the
difference between these two character sets?

The second issue I'm having is that only fonts in the /System/Library/Fonts
seem to work. There are tons of fonts in my /Library/Fonts folder that don't
seem to work at all. There is also the possibility of putting fonts in the
~/Library/Fonts folder for personal use. It would be nice if my init files
could handle all of these possible locations. Is there a workaround for
this?

Many thanks.