Re: cvs emacs build fails on Windows XP

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cvs emacs build fails on Windows XP
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:35:47 +0200

> From: bart.oldeman@bristol.ac.uk (Bart Oldeman)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 20 Jul 2003 11:46:08 -0700
> > >
> > > You check batch files out on Windows, LF is converted to CRLF, all
> > > is fine.
> > >
> > > You check batch files out on Unix, LF stays LF, and all is fine
> >
> > No, it isn't: suppose you then prepare a tarball of the distribution,
> > and that tarball needs to be built on Windows using those batch files.
> > (This is an actual problem with Emacs, for example.)
>
> what you are "supposed" to do then it to do on the fly eol conversion
> -- the source code for Windows then uses CRLF for all text files and
> not just batch files. Like the "-l" option of InfoZIP's zip.

That's not good: the same tarball, prepared on Unix, should be used
on both Unix and Windows (and on Mac), so all the text files should
be in Unix EOL format, except for batch files.

> It's just that emacs wants to distribute *one* source tarball for all
> platforms that makes this a problem. In CVS's way of thinking one
> would produce, say, a .tar.gz for Unix with LF line endings, a zip for
> Windows with cr-lf line endings, another format for VMS and so on...

If that's ``the CVS way of thinking'', then it seems like CVS wants
the rest of the world to bend to comply to CVS's misfeatures.  That's
not how, in my mind, one should solve problems.

> if you start using $Log in batch files -- you'll see that the server
> will add LF line endings

Another misfeature, IMHO.