Re: what is the point of point-min?

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: what is the point of point-min?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:47:39 +0200

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> writes:

> Jesper Harder  <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
>>Is this the way they work:
>>
>>(defun region-beginning ()
>>  (min (point) (mark)))
>>
>>(defun region-end ()
>>  (max (point) (mark)))
>
> Use the Source, Luke.

If they were Lisp functions I would have just read the source.  But

* I hate reading C.

* It's much more cumbersome to find the function definition for
  built-in functions, i.e. there's no handy hyperlink to the source
  when doing `C-h f' like there is for Lisp functions.

>>or are there other instances where `region-beginning' is different
>>from `point'?
>
> Even if there aren't now, you should allow for the possibility in the
> future.

Yes, in newly written code.  But it might not be worthwhile to change
stable (currently feature-freezed) code with the possibility of
introducing bugs if there's no difference between (region-end) and
(max (point) (mark)).