Re: ?? emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server? <--

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ?? emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server? <--Why this?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:59:01 GMT

> I started an emacs session and ran server-start.
> I then opened an xterm and verified $EDITOR was set to emacsclient.
> I then did "emacsclient somefile" hoping it would run in my old emacs
> process but instead I got following message....
> emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
> What am I doing wrong??

Assuming both processes are run on the same machine by the same user, this
looks like a bug.  Please give more information about the Emacs version
you're using and the `emacsclient' version you're using.

> What is this about a socket??

A `socket' is a thingy used to comunicate between processes.
Most likely your problem is that emacsserver created a socket
named /tmp/foo and emacsclient tries to access the socket /tmp/bar.

        Stefan