Re: rendering a string as a new line?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: rendering a string as a new line?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:52:10 -0600

Oliver Scholz wrote:

jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) writes:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003  "Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
You can put a string "\n" as a `display' property on those tags.

as, if I understand the documentation correctly, "\n" is not a legal
value for `display' property.

[...]

It is not documented (so one could indeed argue, that it is not
legal), but it is valid.
Both valid and documented is '((margin nil) "\n").

The "Other Display Specs" node of the Emacs Lisp manual says:

| `((margin nil) STRING)'
| `STRING'
|      A display specification of this form means to display STRING
|      instead of the text that has the display specification, at the same
|      position as that text.  This is a special case of marginal display
|      (*note Display Margins::).

Note the simple STRING alternative.

--
Kevin Rodgers