Re: run external command and let it go

From: John Russell
Subject: Re: run external command and let it go
Date: 25 Sep 2003 12:20:51 -0400

John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me how I can run an external process (like a temrinal
> or a browser) from emacs.  I know shell-command does this, but I
> really don't care about the output of the command, so the Shell output
> and Async output buffers are just annoying when they come up.  I
> really just want to launch a command and then be done with it.  Any
> ideas? Thanks.
>
> John

Does anyone have a better idea than this?  It just seems like it
should be easier than this.

Plus, every once in a while my process doesn't run because it a
hungup.  But only some times. I hate race conditions.

(defun open-terminal-here ()
  "Opens the terminal defined by the variable terminal-program at
the current working directory."
  (interactive)
  (let (current-config)
    (setq current-config (current-window-configuration))
    (shell-command (concat terminal-program "&"))
    (kill-buffer "*Async Shell Command*")
    (set-window-configuration current-config)
    ))

John