gnus uudecode "wrong type file" error, solved

From: Hugh Lawson
Subject: gnus uudecode "wrong type file" error, solved
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 02:39:59 GMT

X v u 'gnus-uudecode-and-view' kept giving me the "wrong type file"
error.  After much web and info searching, I solved this one in two
steps.

First, I added the following line to my .gnus file.

(setq gnus-uu-user-view-rules '(("jpg$\\|gif$" "xzgv")))

Second, when the error persisted, I discovered that I didn't have the
Debian package 'sharutils' installed.  'uudecode' is provided by this
package, and Emacs evidently uses the Gnu uudecode program.

--
Hugh Lawson