Re: How do I change the size of the undo history?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: How do I change the size of the undo history?
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 05:05:11 -0400

Dan Anderson wrote:

> After like five or six undos Emacs stops undoing things and redoes
> them.  Is there anything I can put in my .emacs to create a much longer
> undo history?  Say of 1000 items?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dan

Emacs doesn't number the undos. It keeps up to a certain amount of bytes in
a buffer, regardless of the number of undos. In other words it keeps, say,
30,000 bytes, whether that's one undo or 2,000.

There is an undo group in your Options > Customize Emacs menu. It gives you
two limits. Just put in larger numbers. I put extra in mine because I have
lots of RAM. You might have to experiment a bit to get a good number for
the way you work.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.