Re: Slightly OT: Where are keycodes defined for emacs -nw in X-Windows?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Where are keycodes defined for emacs -nw in X-Windows?
Date: 26 Oct 2003 16:15:57 GMT

Alan Mackenzie <none@example.invalid> wrote:

> On my xterm, the modifier keys get filtered out, so that C-up and up
> degenerate into the same event sequence.  :-(

DESCRIPTION
     The xterm program is a terminal emulator for  the  X  Window
     System.  It provides DEC VT102 and Tektronix 4014 compatible
     terminals for programs that  can't  use  the  window  system
     directly.   If the underlying operating system supports ter-
     minal resizing capabilities (for example, the SIGWINCH  sig-
     nal  in  systems  derived  from  4.3bsd), xterm will use the
     facilities to notify programs running in the window whenever
     it is resized.

a vt102, you may recall, doesn't have modifiers...

> <rant mode>
> [... several frustrating hours later ... ].  The documentation of xterm
> is of lesser quality than that of Emacs.  As well as its man-page, I've

xterm is (fortunately) smaller than Emacs, but it is documented.

if you read the manpage, you may notice this near the end:

SEE ALSO
     resize(1), stty(1), tty(1), tty(7), X11(7),
     Xterm Control Sequences

> got an introductory users' guide to X (a book).  It goes on and on and on
> about the syntax of "resources" (whatever they are), but doesn't seem to

start with man X11.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net