Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:01:31 -0600

> PS: I would also like to note that copying and yanking only half
> understood Lisp snippets may also be a good first step into learning
> Emacs Lisp.

I agree with Oliver. My main learning steps (so far) were approximately
these:

writing macros |
saving them    |  ~ nine months (also learned bash)
tweaking them  |
importing Lisp snippets  |
tweaking them            | ~ eight months (bash use peaks)
writing basic defuns     |
learning some Lisp concepts              |
writing somewhat more complicated defuns | ~ six months (little bash)

Only after quite a while of writing basic defuns did I ever do
anything that might be considered to be more complicated. Also, only
after that did I begin to understand how to use built-in Emacs
functionality at all well.

Joe