Re: emacs for Mac OS 10.3.1

From: Hugh Wolf
Subject: Re: emacs for Mac OS 10.3.1
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:02:21 GMT

On 2003-11-21, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) writes:
> fink is handholding for Mac users who have never compiled software in
> their lives

It's really not.  I've been building software from sources for 25+
years, which is not quite all my life but a pretty fair percentage of
it...If anything, the more experience you have with this kind of
thing, the more likely you are to appreciate what fink and similar
tools have to offer.

Look at the Linux community, which is made up almost exclusively of
software-savvy people.  All the Redhat users I know use rpm to install
software if at all possible.  Likewise, all the Debian users I know
use dselect, apt-get etc to install software.  Not because they need
hand-holding, but because version and dependency management are
understood to be Good Things.

Fink does exactly the same job for OSX.  The dual nature of OSX means
it has some extra restrictions (in particular, staying out of the way
of Apple's installers and updaters), but conceptually it's identical
to the Debian tools.