gnu/emacs client --create-frame somehow?

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: gnu/emacs client --create-frame somehow?
Date: 27 Nov 2003 17:28:59 +0100

Hi,

I would like to use gnuclient or the new emacsclient out of CVS so that the
decision if a new frame is created is up to me when calling the client
command.

I know about "gnuserv-frame" to decide about frame creation with gnuclient or
adding a hook which calls "make-frame" to "server-visit-hook" for emacsclient,
but than the behavior is fixed for all calls to the client.

What I'm looking for is some way of simulating a --create-frame option and
then calling

        emacsclient/gnuclient --create-frame FILE

only if I want a new frame. I'm not up to fixing (gnu)server.el to implement
such an option, my first crude attempt was to write a wrapper script which
calls the client two times: First to set e.g. gnuserv-frame to the desired
value and then a second time to execute the actual command.

Thanks for any help ...

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at