VC-mode and ssh

From: Jesse Sheidlower
Subject: VC-mode and ssh
Date: 28 Nov 2003 20:22:38 -0500

I'm sure this is a problem with (my understanding of) ssh rather
than Emacs, but would appreciate some guidance anyway.

I've recently started using CVS to manage my projects, and
after poking around on the command line have decided to start
using VC mode in Emacs. But when I try to check in a file, I
get the message:

  ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/X11R6/bin/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
  Write failed: broken pipe

I don't use ssh-askpass for anything, hence its lack of
existence; when I use ssh or any tool that uses it (rsync,
etc.) I do so from the command-line, and just type my password
there. How do I set Emacs up to do the same? I discovered by
chance that if I try some of the commands from the Tools menu,
it _does_ ask me for a password in an Emacs buffer, but it
displays as I type, which is unsatisfactory, and it wasn't
clear how to "enter" the value anyway.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower