Re: Emacs from CVS question

From: Hugh Wolf
Subject: Re: Emacs from CVS question
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:45:43 GMT

On 2003-11-30, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> Not mixing fink-built and non-fink-built dependencies makes sense.
> Thus far 21.3 doesn't seem to be available via fink

Time to make your own .info file :) It's very easy in this case, since
you can copy one that's there already and modify it as needed.  Put it
in the local tree, so fink knows it's not part of its distribution.

> (and in any event
> the Carbon build would not be available via fink

Right, but this is completely standalone, it doesn't depend on
anything at all other than what comes with the osx developer tools --
not on fink and not on anything else you might happen to have in
/usr/local.

>> I haven't used XDarwin.app in a long time now, but this sounds like
>> an .Xmodmap thing.  With X11.app my ~/.Xmodmap looks like this:
>
> Huh.  I don't have an ~/.Xmodmap file...

If you want option to be meta, you need one.  The standard osx X11 key
mapping makes command/apple act as meta and option/alt act as alt.

>> Mine is 15.6MB for emacs itself -- less than half the size of the
>> X11 build (36.7MB).  Where are you seeing 95MB?
>
> Get Info on Emacs.app = 96.6 MB.

Right, ok, but that's with all the lisp and info files etc.  You'll
see exactly the same thing with the X11 build, except those parts will
be under /usr/local.

> Oddly enough, neither the Carbon version nor the X11 version I
> compiled can find the info files

This works ok for me.

> which are at the place that "make
> install" put them

If you leave them wherever the install step puts them, it should work.
With the carbon emacs you should also be able to copy them into the
application bundle (as you've apparently done).  I don't do this
myself, but I did try it once, some time ago, and it seemed to work
fine.

What symptom are you seeing -- 'meta-x info' shows nothing?