Re: tramp hangs

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: tramp hangs
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:04:35 +0000

gebser@speakeasy.net writes:

> Reading along another email on this list, I figured I'd give tramp a try
> to a local box.  I did "C-x 4 C-f ..." and the minibuffer announced
> activity like unsetting variables.  Then it showed "tramp: setting shell
> prompt" and hung there.  And it's been hanging for about ten minutes.
> I have three emacs frames open and all three are hung.  (I can't run any
> commands, can't even move the point, not with the keyboard and not even
> with the mouse.  Can't open any menus either.
>
> I'm using emacs 20.7.41.

Does C-g wake Emacs up?

Which version of Tramp have you got?  It's quite possible that recent
versions don't work with Emacs 20 anymore.  I haven't tried.

If C-g wakes it up, then please (setq tramp-debug-buffer t), start
Emacs again, make it hang again, hit C-g, then post the *tramp/foo*
buffer as well as the *debug tramp/foo* buffer.  (If there are
passwords in them, remove them first.)

Thanks,
Kai