Re: HELP! Backup up file vanished!

From: gebser
Subject: Re: HELP! Backup up file vanished!
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 05:10:41 -0500

At 20:58 (UTC-0000) on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 J Krugman said:

= I had been working for about 2 hours on an important e-mail (using
= RMAIL), when my machine had to be rebooted.  I had not saved my
= work (I know, the oldest mistake in the book), but I was confident
= that at least I would be able to find a "backup" file of the form
= "#*mail*#...".  To my dismay, there is no such file more recent
= than several months ago.  I even did a find command on my home
= directory (no luck).
=
= My only hope at this point is that this backup has been placed
= somewhere else.  Any suggestions?
=
= My OS is Linux.
=

Each partition on each disk in your Linux filesystem will (should) have
a "directory" called lost+found.  If you don't find your file anywhere
else, you should find it in there.  You'll have to look at the contents
of the files in lost+found because the filenames generally aren't saved.
I.e., do a grep on the files there.  Of course lost files are placed
into the lost+found corresponding to the partition on which the original
disk file was residing.

hth,
ken