Re: Printing under OS X

From: Garglemonster
Subject: Re: Printing under OS X
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:00:17 -0500

    >>  AucTeX is not a (La)TeX distribution.  It is only an emacs
    >> package for making dealing with (La)TeX files easier.  In order
    >> to do anything useful with LaTeX files, you'll need to install
    >> a LaTeX distribution.

    Tim> Yes, thank, I was able to figure out the essentials.  Mainly
    Tim> I want to be able to send articles for publication formatted
    Tim> in LaTeX, so- as it turns out from my research- I would be
    Tim> perfectly satisfied with a previewer rather than being able
    Tim> to print hard copies.

but even if you do that, latex/tex have to chew on the files first.
whether you have them spit the files out in the direction of the
screen or the printer, you still need tex/latex.  the upshot is that
you pretty much need a full tex installation even to preview files.
you could run latex on someone else's machine that you access
remotely, but that's hardly worth the trouble.  if worse comes to
worse, just get the source for tetex and compile it yourself.  texlive
is another option.

and besides, you will want to print out your stuff for editing.

--
garglemonster@my-deja.com

I love ROCK 'N ROLL!  I memorized the all WORDS to "WIPE-OUT" in
1965!!