font-lock-comment-face not working in latest CVS

From: Kenneth Rose
Subject: font-lock-comment-face not working in latest CVS
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:42:07 GMT

Hey all,

I downloaded the latest CVS sources and built emacs 21 for Mac OS X. When I loaded emacs, it started complaining because I had the line:

( set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "cyan" )

in my .emacs. It was complaining that font-lock-comment-face wasn't a valid face. However, if I opened my .emacs and evaluated the entire buffer (this is an option in the menu), the buffer evaluated fine and comments were in cyan. What's more, doing 'M-x set-face-foreground' and using tab completion showed me that font-lock-comment-face was a valid face.

I fixed it by putting the change into a custom-set-faces

( custom-set-faces
   '(font-lock-comment-face       ((t (:foreground "cyan"))))
)

Does anyone know why my calls to set-face-foreground were causing errors?

Thanks.

/<en