Re: xml encoding conflict with my defult emacs language configuartion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: xml encoding conflict with my defult emacs language configuartion
Date: 24 Feb 2004 08:53:06 +0200

> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:16:07 +0800 (CST)
> From: "niDapeng"<steveneo@21cn.com>
>
> I guess my English isn't good enough to explain my question exactly.

I think I understood it, your English is fine.

> My emacs is Windows version 21.3.1.

If I'm not mistaken, that version of Emacs indeed does not support
Chinese characters in the Unicode character set.

> And you needn't try to guess my emacs setting from my email encoding, becuase
> I didn't use Emacs as my email client:)

I didn't say to fix the mail in Emacs, I said to fix your mailer
(which I saw in the headers to be something called "AIMC 2.9.5.6
2002.10.10").  The fact that you use a mailer other than Emacs
doesn't mean you shouldn't set it up correctly.

This is especially true when posting messages about non-ASCII
characters: how can you expect me to understand the problem if the
Chinese characters you are writing about appear as random garbage on
my screen?  Thanks Emacs saints that we have "M-x rmail-redecode-body",
or else I'd be lost.

> I use XAE to create a docbook XML file, and input Chinese words. When I save,
> message pop up like my last mail. I guess the reason is : my buffer file is
> GB2312 encoding, but emacs try to save it as UTF-8, and emacs can't convert
> GB2312 Chinese words to UTF-8 automatically. So emacs ask if I want to save
> forcedly .

That's true, for your version of Emacs.  What would you like Emacs to
do instead?

> BTW, my another mail, about "Redo" function. My mean is when I do more
> "undo", I can't use "redo" function to "undo" last time "undo":). I do think
> it's common request for an editor. but why emacs hasn't accept "redo" as
> default command.

You can "undo" the "undo".  For that, after you invoke the "undo"
command, press some key that doesn't change the buffer (I usually
press the Right key) and then invoke "undo" again.  It will now redo
the last change you undid.