Re: double-click or return in dired to launch application

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: double-click or return in dired to launch application
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:47:48 -0500

Joel Smith <joelvsmith@earthlink.net> writes:

> is it possible to double-click on a file in dired and have it launch
> an application, i.e. click on a .doc document and word opens with
> the document.  i'm using emacsnt, but it would be interesting to set
> this up at home on my linux box as well.  thanks.

I have the following set up to do file associations and actions:

(setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
      '(("\\.jpe?g\\'" "xli")
        ("\\.gif\\'" "xli")
        ("\\.pdf\\'" "acroread")
        ("\\.pdf.gz\\'" "gv")
        ("\\.ps.gz\\'" "gv")
        ("\\.ps\\'" "gv")))

which allows me to specify what happens when I apply the ! key in
dired to a specific file.  I suppose you could add something like

    ("\\.doc\\'" "start")

to that list in windows and it should work (use "ooffice" instead of
"start" in linux).  Then, you could press ! RET on one of those files.
I'm not sure if that's what you want.

As to how to get it to work from a double-click, I'm not sure if it's
possible or not to intercept double-clicks, anyone?
--
Benjamin