Re: No files can be recovered from this session now

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: No files can be recovered from this session now
Date: 14 Mar 2004 08:02:15 +0200

> Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:29:16 -0400
> From: no-reply@bestof-inter.net
>
> My computer crashed (not due to emacs) while I have lots of open buffers
> in emacs,
> so I reboot and launch emacs, then "Recover session". But when typing
> C-c C-c
> on the latest .saves-* file, I get the message
>  "No files can be recovered from this session now"
>
> I could not find ANY information on what this could mean :

It means that Emacs cannot recover any files from that session.

> One innocent answer might be :
>  - there are no unsaved files ! All has been saved before the crash
>    (and the #...# files removed),  no file has thereafter been modified.

That's one possibility, yes.

Another, worse, possibility is that there were unsaved files before
the crash, but their auto-save files are gone (e.g., because the
computer restart procedure erased them).  Try looking in the various
lost+found directories.

> But then :
> - why do I have the ".saves-*" file, nonempty
>  (listing all my open buffers, normal and #...# filenames),
>  with modification/creation date just the time of the crash ?

If some of these files are precious to you, you should try looking
for them.

>  Is this ".saves-" file not updated whenever a file has successfully
> been saved and not yet modified again ?

It could be, but probably the files were simply erased as I mentioned
above.

> "recover-file: Auto-save file
> /home/user/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/#.saves-20606-localhost~# not current".
> [the function "recover-file" went by default into this strange hidden
> subdirectory !]

It's not strange: that's where Emacs saves these files.  See the
variable `auto-save-list-file-prefix'.